|Number the Stars ~ Chapters
1. What was Uncle Henrik's attitude about fear and bravery? Finish this quotation:
"I think you are like your mama, and like your papa, and like me. Frightened, but
2. When did Annemarie find it possible to be brave?
3. What did Mama do that prompted the German soldier to slap her?
4. What effect did reading a Psalm have on the visitors?
Write the phrase from this Psalm from which the book title is taken:
Compare the two groups of people who came at the deaths of loved ones:
|The people who came to visit Annemarie's family at the
death of Lise:
|The people who came to Uncle Henrik's
house at the death of Aunt Birte:
Annemarie came to understand why there was such a difference between the two groups. Write her conclusions:
1. Why did Uncle Henrik lie about Aunt Birte?
Do you think it was right for him to lie?
Explain your answer:
2. Why didn't Annemarie tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Birte?
3. At what point in the story did Annemarie and her mother become "equals?"
What do you think made them equal?
4. What happened that prompted Ellen to give a "sharp, low cry?"
5. How did the casket get to Uncle Henrik's house?
6. Where had Uncle Henrik gone?
7. Research to find out what typhus is.