| Supplies Needed:
- 5" X 8" cards (8 per student) or 8 1/2 x 11" pieces of
white card stock cut in half. (Packaged white card stock is sold in the office
supply area of Wal-Mart)
- A wooden box or something similar for the Mystery Box activity every
- Objects needed for the Mystery Box: (the starred* items are on
a picture page accompanying this unit)
- A-1 map of Africa or airplane*
- A-2 camel*
- A-3 salt or something gold*
- A-4 crocodile*
- B-1 camping item such as tent stake, tent*
- B-2 rope or canteen*
- B-3 dried beans or stones
- B-4 camera or animal picture*
- Day A1 - Hula hoop and soft balls for African Game for Recess.
- Day A3 - sugar cubes and rocks sprayed gold (or candy like
Hershey's Nuggets which are already wrapped in gold) for the Silent Trade simulation.
- (Optional for Day A3 - Instead of the
postcards, make drums out of cans covered with paper for decoration. Measure and
decorate the paper with geometric shapes before gluing onto can. For the top and
bottom of the drum, use cloth tied on with twine.)
- Project A - Sand to form molds for face masks and plaster of
Paris to pour into mold and make "masks." Needed for African
shakers: medium balloons, 6 to 8" pieces of dowel, duct or masking tape,
newspaper, liquid starch, white glue, and acrylic paints.
- Day B3 - Make mankala games that two people can play.
Needed per game: An egg carton, two paper cups, and 48 beans, buttons, or small
- Project B - See list of possibilities.